Old 11-30-19, 03:52 PM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
Hey just to chime in:

I'll turn 52 in December, and I just had total hip replacement surgery on my right hip on November 8. I had been losing joint mobility for the better part of 15 years, noticing my right knee flaring outwards at the top of the pedal stroke etc. I just did my best to live with it. I progressively gave up all high-impact activities like running, and stuck to cycling and cross-country skiing. Over the past five years, I began to have pain at night from time to time, and the frequency and intensity of pain started to really increase this year. Everyone I talked to who has undergone the procedure had the same refrain: "I wish I'd done it sooner...". So I decided to be proactive and get it done before I really lost my activity level.

After scheduling the surgery, I went on a 10-day gravel/road tour with about 3,000+ feet of climbing per day, with the idea of just really "using up" my hip---- lol mission accomplished, lots more pain this fall after the trip, convinced me that I was doing the right thing by having the hip replaced. Still filled with a fair bit of trepidation as the day of surgery approached---- it's a pretty big thing to submit to, especially by choice. The description of the recovery seemed very long, and I was not looking forward to being off the bike, unable to ski or otherwise maintain fitness.

The first week post-op was pretty painful--- moving very gingerly, using crutches, just getting in and out of bed hurt like h*ll. Not even thinking of cycling on the indoor trainer at that point.

However, I am now 3+ weeks out, and things are feeling MUCH better. I got the ok from my PT to begin gently cycling on the trainer about 9 days ago, and I have been slowly increasing time and intensity. Today I did 65 minutes at an average of 160 watts--- nothing record-setting, but it's starting to feel like a decent aerobic workout.

The great news is the improved range of motion in my operative hip---- I can now pedal in circles without my knee flaring out or feeling a "hitch" in my right pedal stroke at the top of the rotation.

I'm still taking it very easy, trying to give a full six weeks for the implant to fuse to the bone. But being able to ride decently far/hard on the trainer has improved my mood no end.

So, fingers crossed and still a fair way to go in recovery, but at this point I really feel glad I had the surgery done. I'm hoping it will give me improved hip function for the next 20+ years and let me keep riding hard for quite a while.

By the way, I had anterior-approach, minimally invasive surgery. Still have about a six-inch incision in the front/side of of my right hip, so I shudder to think what the "more invasive" approach does.....

Good luck to all who are wrestling with these things, as we all try to be active and athletic into the "later" decades. Don't lose heart!

N
Likes For no67el: