Old 11-22-14, 10:31 AM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
You also might want to tinker with your saddle position relative to KOPS (forth and aft). If your pain is back of the knee or before the knee cap chances are fairly good that your saddle position is not right for your rotation.

Otherwise, if I were you I'd cross-train: yoga, weights, walk/run, dynamic stretching...you can re-invent your body if you are patient and put in the work. Glucosamine/chondrotin stuff works for me, but I rarely use it - nice if you do a long ride or long run unexpectedly, without any build up.

I suspect there are many members of this board that run 10-15Ks, ride metric or imperial centuries regularly with no drama. This a very realistic goal regardless of age if you are fundamentally sound and put in some basic training, get weight under control. As you recover from smoking you will develop an enormous amount of cardio endurance, perhaps more than the average person of your age - you can become a hill climbing stud. Congrats on your journey and good luck.
Thanks French...the burning feels like it's just behind my kneecaps (if that's of any help)...maybe even "in" my kneecaps....but not behind the knees...yes...both of them....and yes...maybe some cross-training is in order...I remember one of my old USMC D.I.'s screaming at us (as they always did) that we are going to be one hurting pack of puppies for the next 3 weeks (as he commented that this was "The Tear Down Period")...and he was right...everything on all of us hurt for 3 weeks and for awhile there?...we all actually got weaker before we got stronger...but once those scales tipped?....life still sucked but our fitness levels were improving dramatically!

Originally Posted by Cyril
Get a Professional bike fit.
It will cost you $200 to $300 approx.
Will be worth every penny.

Or,Monkey around with your fit yourself.
Who knows? you might get lucky.
Thanks Cyril...and while I've considered doing just that?...here's my current list of excuses of "why not"....

1. I got this book called..."Zinn & The Art Of Road Bike Maintenance"...and I read through the fitment section thoroughly...several times over...took all my body and bike measurements, did the math and made the appropriate adjustments...and along with that?...

2. I think I've watched every you tube bike fitment video there is...twice.

(but more significant too me?)

3. My hard core road biking friend at work who travels hundreds of miles to go ride centuries in the mountains several times a year?...(told me when I asked)...don't waste your money on a bikefit session...at least NOT YET...because...as you start rolling the miles on?...your body is going to go through many changes and you're going to find that the bikefit session you paid $200 for and felt great last week?...won't feel worth a flip next week and you will begin to change on your own things in short order....I did.

and I believe him...as he also told me that if I feel it's something I absolutely want to do?...wait a year...and when you go buy your next new Road Bike?...pay for it then and see how it works out for you...but followed with...even he noticed of himself...despite all his years of riding and experience...that the last few times he sprung for a bikefit session?....only a week or two would pass before he make subtle changes anyways...and I know he knows two things...

1. He knows me and?...

2. He knows we both know we are both OCD to the extreme!

But thanks man...I know it's probably class A advice for normal folk.