Old 07-13-19, 11:24 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I have a job for the IM Nation. The beater red/white 85/6 I saved a year or 2 ago is getting pressed into service. I bought it to be a loaner bike for prospective Tri/cyclists. The loanee is on my Marathon training team. He is taking swim lessons and needs a ride. 5'10-11 and stringbeanish. He should become a good triathlete if he sticks with it. I think a 56cm will work. Might need a longer stem.
I need some recommendations on the build. I will attempt a cheap build using as many existing shop parts as I can. I have a 7 speed 105 wheelset. I might go with some brifters if I can find some cheapies. The crank will be a 110 double. The main question is 50/34 or 52/36? If I go 52/36, i can go with a common 13/something cassette. 50/34 might require some more top end on the cassette.
So, give me some ideas on what kind of build to go with. The main objective is to give the person a chance to try cycling/ tri and see if he likes it before he has to invest some serious dough.
Since I don't have any experience with a compact crankset, I really can't comment. Buuut... whatever the terrain calls for in the Tri is what I'd appreciate, if it were me.