Thread: Pedal extenders
View Single Post
Old 04-16-17, 09:48 PM
Popete

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
WARNING - I purchased a set of these stainless steel pedal extenders made by Aseparts and sold by Cherryboy.t on eBay, and I suffered a CATASTROPHIC FAILURE while riding my bicycle.

The pedal extender on my right pedal snapped off at the end of where the threads are cut, resulting in my right foot hitting the pavement, my abdomen hitting my handlebars, and my body being flung into the center of the roadway. I suffered a sore right ankle, cuts and abrasions on my right elbow and right knee, a chip in my right elbow, and severe hematoma in my abdomen.

I believe my accident is due to the FAULTY DESIGN of this product - these pedal extenders are made with a HOLLOW CENTER. I believe that over time, the push and pull action on a bicycle pedal will cause the pedal extender to break off at the point where the threads are cut. I had used these pedal extenders for about 8 months before the right one broke off without any warning.

I have looked at pedal extenders being sold by other companies, and they are all made out of a SOLID piece of metal. And I am unable to find any bicycle pedal manufacturer making pedals with a hollow axel. I believe Aseparts needs to stop production of these hollow pedal extenders immediately.

When I tried to contact the Aseparts company after my accident, the only contact information I could find was that the seller was “Cherryboy.t” on eBay. I sent a message (thru eBay) describing my accident and asked if they were aware of any other failures of their pedal extenders. Cherryboy.t responded saying if I sent my broken pedal back, they would send me a new set. I wrote back, saying I did not want another set, all I wanted to know is if there were any other people who have reported a broken pedal extender. Cherryboy.t responded saying if I sent my broken pedal back, they would refund my money.

I was very upset. At no time did Cherryboy.t ask about my injuries, or offer any indication that they cared about the possibility of a defect in their product design. And they never did respond to my question about whether any other people had reported a broken pedal extender. The only way I could contact the Aseparts company was through eBay, and I had no idea who I was corresponding with, where the company was located, or what the company’s phone number was. All I had was the name of an eBay store called "Cherryboy.t".

My advice to anyone purchasing pedal extenders, or any other critical bicycle component where its failure could result in the loss of your life, is to deal only with a reputable manufacturer. Select one with a website, an address, contact information, and a good reputation, where you can contact them if you have any problem with the product. From what I can tell, the Aseparts company is a few people living near Jacksonville FL with access to a machine shop who formed an LLC to sell some automotive parts on eBay. I have serious doubt whether they perform any research and development on these pedal extenders, or have any quality control in place, or are regulated by any manufacturing rules or regulations.

Luckily, after 10 months my injuries have healed, and I believe I learned a valuable lesson about making eBay purchases. My purpose in writing this message is to warn other people, so they do not make the same mistake that I did.
Likes For Popete: