Thread: 1 Arm Cycling
View Single Post
Old 12-03-18, 02:01 AM
gixer

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX7 (09), Diamond Back Axis TT (94)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by traut
@gixer by your username I don't need to ask which bike you came short on, but respect for not wasting any time.
You have a lot of years experience with 1 arm but what I really like is your braking setup... simple and easy.

The sad part is that everything in the sport is pricey so i'll have to wait and see what the prosthetist comes up with (which might take very long).
Oddly enough it was a CBR

Put a lot of time and effort into linked brakes, on the road if you ride in the same sort of conditions and don't spend much time going downhills they work ok
Problem i found was that a rear/front bias that worked well on flat dry road didn't work well on a wet downhill

Part of that is that on steeper road type downhills my weight would be shifter further back on the bike, this meant the front would have less weight on it, so more prone to locking up.
Once the front started locking up with the linked brake setup i found i'd lost most of my braking power

The dual brake setup takes some getting used to, but now i can feather each brake as needed

I think your case with a prosthetic might be one of those rare occurrences where you might be better off than me, as you don't have a useless, floppy arm to get in the way.
Please be careful locking that arm and prosthetic to the bike though, it can be a nightmare if you come off