View Single Post
Old 01-16-19, 05:05 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
... but like a Swiss army knife may not be as good as a "real" knife, but that doesn't stop me from always carry one with me...
On the other hand, if the Swiss Army knife didn't do the job you needed it to do, if it had a huge number of tools you never used at all, and weighed a lot, you might move to a different pocket tool which was only as big and heavy as you needed it to be, and only had the blades/tools you regularly needed.

I could load up front and rear panniers with tools and spares fro every ride around the block, and strap my repair stand, a generator, and floodlights across the back of my bike ... but so far I tend to get by with a small multi-tool and a couple tire levers, and I use my headlight as a flashlight. I honestly don't see where I could carry more on that thing than i can on my touring or working bikes ... the only thing I see that doing that a normal bike couldn't do would be to carry a passenger in an exceedingly uncomfortable and unsafe fashion ... i can pass on that, thanks.

The one time in my life I was in the situation of having one bike and two people, I sat on the seat while the other guy stood on the pedals and we got on down the road. Not comfortable, not safe, and not as unnecessarily complicated as this thing.

Nowadays, i would just screw some footpegs into the outside of my rack mounts and carry a person standing. I see kids on BMX bikes do it all the time. But ... so far I have only wanted to carry another person once in my life so ..... i guess i am not the intended custoemr.