debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
Problem with V brakes

Hi,

I'm a nice guy. I like sports and have played something all my life. I enjoy non-fiction. I fix nothing right the first, second or third time.

While on a bike tour, a mechanic installed XLC brake pads like the ones in the link on my 2011 520 Trek. My back brake worked OK for a while but the brake lever was coming back too far. The project started because I wanted to tighten the cable. (That is a job I actually do myself). However, any tightening of the cable resulted in the brake pads coming in contact with the wheel. I moved the tension screw as far they would go but the pads still touched the wheel. The pads will not touch the wheel if there is no tension on the brake cable. But they are close and that is the only way I can create room but the brakes as you know, do not work then. https://www.xlc-parts.com/en/urban/b...v-brake-bs-v08

In my less than educated solution, I think removing some of the spacers would be a good idea in order to create more space between the wheel and brake pad. I am not sure if that is a good solution. If so, I am not sure which spacers should be left and which removed.

Is this something someone can provide some guidance? Please let me know if this is not clear.

Thanks for helping a budding mechanic. Don't worry, I am keeping my day job.