Old 04-14-21, 12:28 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
I'm pretty sure the sit bone area is not supposed to go numb... In any case, my butt is very much broken in. I can ride 200 miles in a day on a plastic saddle without pain or significant discomfort. I heard leather saddles are supposed to be better, but maybe not for me.
I've considered this, but it seems likely I'll ride another thousand miles of misery just to find out I now have $430 invested in a saddle that I hate. Ok, I can recoup some of that by selling it, but how much?
well, given your riding experience and what seems as someone who is aware of how riding can feel on a seat that works for you (300k, wow) then it really does seem that this thing has much much stiffer, thicker or whatever leather than the ones I have.

and yes, 1600kms and still no joy, or still acutely aware of the seat under you, is a real drag. None of my Brooks have been that long before things started becoming more, "not think anymore about the seat under me" thing.

the "putting small slightly wet cloths under your sitbone area" trick seems like a reasonable tryout. Basically it will replicate how Ive sweated so much that my saddles become dark. I really did notice that my first B17 seemed to break in better on the first rides when it was super hot and humid.
Without seeing and feeling your saddle to compare, its so hard to have an idea of how it is.
Along with the wet cloth thing, I also heard of people using a golf ball afterwards , maybe baseball, to push on the specific sitbone area to depress it a bit when damp.....who knows.

would you take a shot of it very similar to the shot of mine, angle and lighting and whatnot. Im curious to see how "new" it looks. (not from above, we wont see the relief)

in the end though, I guess at some point you might as well just sell it. there has to be a market for it.
(and frankly, I think you've been more patient than most of us, 1600 kms is a lot of riding....)