Old 07-14-14, 10:36 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Define "bike friendly". Over decades, I've never had any bike related issues with any business in my area, including many that let me bring it inside and stash it by the side or in an alcove while I'm there.

The only issue I've ever had is with my local branch of Wells Fargo Bank. I usually leave my bike outside while using the lobby ATMs. One day the manager comes out and tells me to stop doing that and bring it in with me because a thief could grab it and run faster than I'd react.

BTW- they do have a rack but it's at the back door by the main parking lot. The manager agrees that it's a dumb place, but the town won't allow it in front. The other WFB branch I often use has a drive up window, and I'm greeted with a nice smile anytime I use it with the bike.

So, IME it's not about bike friendly, but about the few rare exceptions of bike unfriendly business. Otherwise, the post office, bank, super market, fast food joints, pizza shop, and bars would all have signs around here. Even city hall, where the police guards let me leave the bike in the alcove near their desks, though they're careful to remind me to lock it because they won't watch it.
For this project, my definition of a bike friendly business is pretty liberal. All a business owner will really have to do to be considered bike friendly is to not be hostile to cyclists and our interests. There is a small but vocal group of shop owners here who are pressuring our bike unfriendly mayor (who definitely won't be getting a sticker to display in city hall ) to tear out a protected bike lane that is used by 1,600 cyclists a day in order to put in more parking spaces. We want to reward those businesses whose owners realise that we cyclists represent an important percentage of their clientele.