Old 01-02-18, 09:21 AM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rfreese888
Having contacted the product engineer in Feedback Sports and Trainer Road Support - I understand more now the difference in power curves between my Cycleops Fluid 2 and the Feedback Omnium. Essentially the Fluid 2 has a much more [wait for it] fluid curve and you get more virtual watts per kmh of wheel speed, whereas the Omnium has a flatter curve and fewer virtual watts per kmh.

When I did a sub threshold workout on the Omnium yesterday holding around 85-90% of my lactate threshold heart rate (145 bpm), I was getting around 100 watts of virtual power. This is practically inverse to what I get on the Fluid 2 where 141 bpm will get me around 225 watts of virtual power.

I am not an engineer but I wish the training software could account for these differences so virtual power would be the same regardless of which trainer I am on, AND they would all match a power meter being run in parallel.

Moral of the story is I need a proper power meter to know what my actual power is. I am thinking Powertap Pedals to take with me with my Omnium when I am not on the Fluid 2 at home.
I just did a little reading into this, and it sounds like both trainers should be supported. When you switched between your fluid trainer and the feedback, did you change the settings in trainnerroad to use the different power curve? It sounds like virtual power might still be using your fluid trainer power curve. https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201655670-Setup-and-Tips