Old 01-17-19, 08:27 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Woke up to about 1/2" of snow. Just enough that I wanted to clear it off my driveway before cars drove on it and turned it into an icy mess.

One nice thing about fresh snow is I can see how many other cyclists are out before me. Today I counted 8 other bikes other than mine on the MUP.

The bad thing about fresh snow is I can't see where the ice ruts are. I know the general locations because I've ridden on them every day the last three weeks, so I would slow down. Despite that I had about a half dozen "OS" moments where the bike would hit a rut hidden in the snow and try to slide out from under me. Somehow I managed to keep it upright the whole ride in.

23F this morning and the wind was light, so it was pretty warm. My shirt was drenched underneath my windbreaker by the time I arrived at the office. I suppose the next step is to go shirtless under my windbreaker, but that seems a little weird. I guess I'll just have to deal with the sweat when the temp is in the 20s.

Tomorrow will be interesting. We're supposed to get up to 6" of snow and the temp is going to plummet to well below zero. Normally I would just account for extra time for my ride to and from work. However, tomorrow I also have to take my son to some Dr appointments during the day. Sometimes the appointments get a little lengthy. So I don't know if it will be worth it to ride in to the office for less than two hours before I have to leave? And after the appointments will it make sense to ride back to the office for another couple of hours? During the summer it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but if we have 6" of unplowed snow on the ground and sub-zero temps that will probably at least double my commute time. Is it worth it to spend four hours riding back and forth to work tomorrow? Still not sure what I'm going to do. Thankfully working remote is an option, but I don't care for that as I don't find myself very productive when I'm working from home; too many distractions.