Old 04-19-19, 08:57 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Maybe people who don't want to be associated with a comment shouldn't make that comment the centerpiece of the third post of the thread? And in fact ... the Justification for the entire thread?

Not taking sides here---I think the whole discussion is ridiculous ... but the only reason anyone suggested "advocating" for a downed cyclist was because that person had a bad experience with a cop once. It is the Justification for the thread. The whole premise of the thread is that a cyclist needs an advocate because the cops are against cyclists.

If the OP didn't want people to get that impression maybe the OP shouldn't have made a post saying that was the situation.

Oh, I'm sorry ... did that make too much sense?

(By the way ... I have personally experienced a cop lying on the witness stand about me. I know two others with similar experiences. And I am a big fan of cops in general. But I would never start a thread saying "Cops are liars" without explaining that I support all cops except the hundredth of a percent who are just bad people .... maybe next time the OP should read his own message before hitting "Submit Reply.")
It is a thread, you know, more information comes up as the conversation evolves. And there are been some good/thoughtful posts in this thread that reinforce the way I reacted to the situation (stayed out of it). The thread does include the idea that police officers are failable - not evil or hateful - but with the help of a couple BFers, that's where this thread has gone and wasted a stupid amount of time.

Those that read one comment about one situation and assume a universe of attitudes from the poster, well they are kinda simple minded and lazy. Example, I am a financial supporter of local police:
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
By donating and volunteer with Our Streets, Minnetonka Mountain Bike Advocates, Bike Cops for Kids, Free Bikes for Kids, and many other local bike organizations ...
Moreover, I'm friends with some of the officers in my town. Frankly, if I'd walked over to the crash scene, I'd been greeted by name by at least one officer on the scene.

Another post by the Toad that helps show how a thread is an evolving dialog, not a hammered in stone statement:
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Thank you, very good link! This reinforces what I have done when I am the first one on the scene; and this quote is basically why I didn't get involved, I did not witness the wreck and could not add anything to the investigation. Knowing the PD in my town is bike-friendly, I expected them to look out for the injured riders needs.
Those that take objection to me highlighting something that you yourself acknowledge - Police are not 100% heros - are clearing looking at this an excuse to get offended. I never made a blanket statement about all police, that's been done for me by the BFers in this thread that misrepresent me and my thoughts. A blanket statement I will post: in the suburbs, officers are typically car-focused people (at work and off work), they are like your neighbors that never use their rusty/dusty bike ... they don't understand some things that are unique to people that ride bikes. Does that make sense? In hindsight, it'd been better to say that then share the story about a cop being a dick that one time.

Of course, if I'd start the thread with my full life history and every experience I've had with police ... you'd all be like TLTR. [/shrug]

In summation, it is generally a pointless thread, I was clearing my head. Since I work a home-office with two dogs, I look to BF as a place to have that 'water cooler' talk (ie pointless conversations). Good talk, good talk.

(you're welcome, Brocephus )