KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

Actually, I carry a foil emergency bivy too. They are a little heavier than the space blankets but as such are a bit warmer too, and I tend to get very cold at night when camping. That emergency bivy has been used as a storm shelter, in a situation similar to yours, as a ground sheet, and as an extra blanket on cold nights.

Here's another one ... rather than carrying a flashlight, use an LED helmet light. The helmet light is good if you end up riding after dark, and can also be used if you set up camp after dark. It frees up your hands so you can set up the tent quickly and easily, and cook your supper. Then later when you are sitting at the picnic table or lying in the tent reading or writing up your journal, it makes a great light for that as well.
The LED helmet lights are surprisingly cheap due to their popularity now, too. I originally had a LED/Halogen headlamp that I got for under $5, "Cyclops" I believe is the brand name, that is simple, durable, and for all intents and purposes waterproof. I replaced it with a Cateye bar-mounted headlight that wasn't weatherproof, and when the rechargeable batteries exploded due to a really bad heatwave we had a couple weeks ago, I didn't miss it. I'm back to the headlight now. I clip my tail-light to the plastic strip on the back of my helmet. I prefer not to clutter my bike up with too much stuff, and feel safer with the lights as high up as possible.