Old 09-27-17, 02:06 PM
Kahrpistols

Bikes: Fuji Cross 2.0 LE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
The specifications on that page you liked to said your wife's bike does not have rack mounts, so I am not sure if it will work.

I put my tent in a pannier. A tent is more dense than a lot of my other camping gear so I want it down low. I usually carry my tent in the front right pannier. Everything else in that pannier can get wet, so I do not have to worry about a wet tent getting anything else wet when I pack it. When I make camp, if it is raining I can get my tent up before any of my other stuff gets unpacked because I only had to open one pannier to get my tent up. Then I can start transferring my stuff to my tent. But, I still can carry my tent weight low in a pannier instead of up high because it is pretty dense.

You are obviously going to have to get all your stuff and then start moving things around to see how it works out and the best way to optimize handling.

Your wife's bike handling would probably be fine with 20 to 25 pounds. But as I noted I like to have the densest stuff down low. I have no clue how heavy your tent is.
There are bosses for the rear rack installation on my wife's bike. I just looked up the specs on my tent; it's a little bit on the heavy side at 5 lbs 11 oz. Since I'm just getting into bikepacking, I didn't want to get a $$$$ tent until I know it's something I want to do a lot ... if the tent is too heavy / cumbersome on the week I take it in the mountains, I'll probably upgrade to something like the REI Quarter Dome before my 3 month trip.