Old 11-14-18, 08:41 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
The ARX is now superseded but there may be some old stock around. I got mine via my bike fitter with connections to the Aus 3T importer. The new 3T Apto stems list up to 150mm on their website
I saw that 150 size listed for the Apto, but I've got no idea how to get a torque wrench on those inward-facing bolts. Sure it's an aero looking design, but for mechanical work, no idea what they were thinking (I really like 3T stuff in general, this one was a surprise).

Originally Posted by carleton
Yeah, as well as making out of the saddle stuff, like standing starts, wonky.

Obviously stems are cheaper than frames. But, just be open to a longer TT than you are accustomed to for road bikes. Another reason is that track races are shorter and have higher average speeds. So, if your races are 5-20 minutes, you can maintain a more aggressive position than you'd want for a 2-4 hr ride. With higher speeds, aero gains help a lot.

Lately, it seems that the "knuckles on the tire" downward fit has given way to the "stretched forward" fit as it pierces the air better.

All of the above is fine tuning. But, it's winter. There is lots of time for speculating and debating and buying stuff we don't need
Yes, definitely open to it. Now that I've been slowly realizing that I'm on the wrong size frame...and due to the taller head tube, probably on the wrong model as well (I've been looking at the TK1 frame geometry versus the TK aluminum frames and the carbon frame certainly has a long-and-low format).

Originally Posted by carleton
Also, larger frames usually have taller head tubes. Tall head tubes move backwards more, away from the front tire. So, if the goal is to put the palms of the hands directly over the front axle (my reference mark), doing that with a 60cm frame might require a 140mm stem and doing the same with a 50cm frame might require a 80mm stem...using the exact same handlebars.

People at bike shops would look at me like I'm crazy when I asked for 140mm or 150mm stems. "Why do you need such a super long stem??!"...because I'm 6'1" on a 60cm bike with short/shallow 35cm Scatto bars.

Super D, I think you are quickly picking up on the fact that, while similar, fitting for track can be significantly different from fitting for road.

I think the riders that experience the most frustration are those that think, "Well, for road bikes I always use X, so that's definitely what I need on the track!" I did that. My first custom track bike was 57cm...because that was the size of my favorite road bike. My current custom bike is 61cm. FOUR centimeters longer with all other angles the same! Part of that was going from "wide" 38cm bars to "narrow" 35cm bars. But, a lot of that was also learning more about fitting.
Yes indeed, picking up on it, trying to work around it with stem and bar, but knowing I will eventually succumb to getting a different frame. Track fit is more challenging than road fit, I'm finding. Especially for long-legged, monkey-armed guys like me.