View Single Post
Old 12-31-20, 03:34 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Well, Mother Nature is cooperating today. Snow storms and shovel parties abounded, for a while, but I finally got a bit more done on the Torpado's paint work.

The frame is sanded, cleaned, scrubbed (see picture of plastic dish washing scrubbers - two grades),tack ragged and ready for paint...

Masking is next on the list. I use liquid mask for intricate work. Believe it or not, those lovely chrome head tube lugs are already protected with a layer of liquid mask. The material is really water based rubber and difficult to feel confident when applying. The results will tell the tale...

When doing tubes and stays, I start with fine line masking tape, ending inside or underneath or in the back of each tube or stay...

If it does not look perfect, remove the tape (with care) and apply again, until it is right...

Once satisfied that the masking is done, dust off the frame with the tack rag one last time and paint away. I plan my set-up, using my work stand, never having to remove the frame. Set up like this, I can easily and safely rotate the frame, ensuring that I see everything that needs to be covered. Also, II try to always work towards the painted area. This makes, as I see it, for smoother transitions as the paint is drying during application...

Do not expect great first coat results. You are covering other colors. It is the first coat and you are leaning how to do it. To perfect your technique. With each coat, sanded in between coats, you get better at applying the paint. This is the result of coat one. Plenty to not feel great about, so far. It is easy to create holidays when brushing the first coat. Also and this is important - DO NOT FUSS WITH IT! Missed a spot, or two or three. So what - correct with the next coat which WILL look better...

The missed spot, I can and will fix. The pooey stinko lug workmanship, not so much...

But the original owner's name, still etched into the frame, is not invisible (so is the phone number on the other side)...

But I know what is coming next. Forgot to prepare the fork. Fork me for forgetting. Also, I plan to do the fenders in grey, to match the frame. That means sand the chrome smooth. But, hopefully, it will all be worth it.

I hope to paint again next year tomorrow. I will finish the grey, then, once the grey is well past handling hard, I will apply the red to the head tube and lug windows...

And, then, of course, the art.