Old 01-03-21, 07:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Conti Ultra Sport II and III tires are excellent values, much better than the original US. I've run 'em for a few years, both for outdoor rides and on the Cycleops trainer. No need for pricey or specialized trainer tires.

But the semi-thick, sorta-rigid sidewalls can make for a jarring ride on chipseal. As our rural and suburban roads have gotten worse -- coarse chipseal, no "fog" coat or smooth asphalt topping -- I've switched to more supple tires.

If you don't mind, or actually like, a reddish brown sidewall, the Conti Grand Prix Classic skinwall is an outstanding value. 700x25 only, handmade in Germany, costs about $30-35 each and well worthwhile. I've run those for almost two years on one road bike. I nearly wore out the rear tire, roughly 3,000 miles, with some of the wear dimples still showing, but a sharp bit of metal anchor strap for construction sliced the tire so I've, umm... retired it. I replaced it with a new Conti GP Classic. Add latex tubes and the ride will spoil you.

Next best value might be Soma Supple Vitesse, a tan/cream skinwall. I got the SL, light enough for club racing, and it's worn surprisingly well. I expected it to wear out in less than 1,000 miles but it looks like it'll be good for 2,000 miles or more. Next time I'll get the EX for a little thicker tread and longer wear. Like the Conti GP Classic, a great riding tire. Available in all standard sizes. The 700x23 SL rides as nice as the GP Classics in 700x25.