Thread: Show yer fruit.
View Single Post
Old 09-10-19, 11:15 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have often thought of doing that for backpacking. I really should get started on it. For bike touring I carry as little food as possible preferring to buy daily and even close to meal time when I can, so I am not likely to find it very useful there other than maybe taking a little at the beginning of a tour.
Not carrying 10 lb food sounds nice.

I'm bikepacking and prefer not to go near stores, or people for that matter. Quiet and solitude are the goals although I wouldn't turn down a random bakery around the fourth day.

Originally Posted by stardognine
That's a good idea too, obviously, but then you need even more WATER. �� I guess I was trying to imply, that I try to use fruits, as a source of water (juices). Trying to cut down on the water you have to carry, seems smart, but this is really just different heavy stuff, I guess. ������
I don't know.

Not trying to challenge and I'm open to correction by someone who knows more than I but I don't think fruits are particularly good for hydration.

As a very practical matter, the fruits and veggies which go into meals don't require significantly more water than the meal they enhance. I'm not adding any extra water to couscous or oatmeal and the fruits and veggies re-hydrate nicely.

Again, I'm bikepacking and filtering my own water. Creeks and streams are abundant in the mountains of the Southeast and filtering two liters several times each day isn't uncommon.

-Tim-