mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
My wife and I crossed into Canada on our bikes more than a dozen times and was never questioned about anything more than the standard questions. One time crossing into Canada, we had a discussion about bringing in a can of Halt dog spray. They let us take it in. The last time was about four years ago and things may have changed.
I also haven't had much difficulty crossing between US and Canada with a bike. Among my times:
- Crossing from Haines AK on the road to Haines Junction YT, they gave me mixed messages about bear spray. On the one hand they were asking whether I was taking in a weapon. On the other hand, their tone indicated it might be foolish to travel through bear country without spray.
- Crossing from Alaska to Beaver Creek YT, they seemed most interested in the Sudan visa in my passport. At the time, if an EU resident had traveled to Sudan in the preceding five years they required a visa to the US - so I wasn't sure if there could be something corresponding, but fortunately not an issue.
- Prior to 9/11 flew into Boston Logan airport once w/o a passport. I had crossed the land border into Canada with just my drivers license and was flying back with my bike. Hadn't realized flights from Canada would go through international arrivals but eventually allowed in.
- Prior to 9/11, my riding partner entered the US from Canada without either drivers license or passport. We had inadvertently thrown away her wallet at a fast food restaurant - and couldn't find it. We did make a police report in London OT and were able to show this to US officials at Port Huron
Mostly however, pretty uneventful crossing between US and Canada on a bike.