View Single Post
Old 05-06-19, 11:27 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I haven't used any of the specific models in question, but I don't think that any pump manufacturer is working with significantly different tech/physics - in other words, they all suck.

Like Ogsarg, I think that models with hoses are much easier to use - all of these mini-pumps are going to require significant force when you're getting to the higher PSIs and having the hose gives you some fudge-factor so that it's harder to inadvertently rip off your valve stem as you furiously pump away.

The Profil FC02 looks much like the Lezyne mini-pump that I have, though it extends further - that might cut down on the number of strokes, but it's still going to have the same basic limitations. I mean, it works, but it takes some time and effort. Also, because the straight handle can dig in to your palm, if/when I buy another mini-pump, a rotating, T-type handle would be high on the priority list.

Having a little fold out stand/toe clip would be nice, too, so that you can push against the ground rather than solely relying on your arms, but this will usually increase the size a bit. If I were still running tubes, this feature would be pretty important, but because I'd use it so infrequently, a smaller form factor might be more appealing.
Pumping is all physics as you say. For a road bike/high pressure you should get a long but slim pump, like a Racerocket HPX, or what ever similar model other manufacturers carry. Much better than a short, thick model.