View Single Post
Old 05-07-19, 11:10 AM
iamLefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I haven't used any of the specific models in question, but I don't think that any pump manufacturer is working with significantly different tech/physics - in other words, they all suck.

Like Ogsarg, I think that models with hoses are much easier to use - all of these mini-pumps are going to require significant force when you'r getting to the higher PSIs and having the hose gives you some fudge-factor so that it's harder to inadvertently rip off your valve stem as you furiously pump away.

The Profil FC02 looks much like the Lezyne mini-pump that I have, though it extends further - that might cut down on the number of strokes, but it's still going to have the same basic limitations. I mean, it works, but it takes some time and effort. Also, because the straight handle can dig in to your palm, if/when I buy another mini-pump, a rotating, T-type handle would be high on the priority list.

Having a little fold out stand/toe clip would be nice, too, so that you can push against the ground rather than solely relying on your arms, but this will usually increase the size a bit. If I were still running tubes, this feature would be pretty important, but because I'd use it so infrequently, a smaller form factor might be more appealing.

One thing that worries me though is the valve core getting accidentally removed by these screw-on type heads, though i’ve read you can tighten valves with pliers. All the mini pump i’ve used were those thumb lever types. These Zefal pumps are my first options coz they’re readily available where i’m from. There are some i can buy online locally, the Fabric Nanobar and the Birzman Swift, both with hoses. There’s also some from Park Tool, Pocket Protector, the Half Pint Mini but i think that’s like 10.5 or 11 inches long and only has 90 psi max. Both have foldable handles. I was looking for the Topeak Micro Rocket but there’s none here, buying it from ebay or amazon means double the price with the shipping so that’s not an option for me. Lezynes are too pricey for me.

Right now, it’s any of those Zefal pumps, Fabric Nanobar, or Birzman Swift. Birzman Swift looks nice and durable.

Last edited by iamLefty; 05-07-19 at 11:17 AM.