View Single Post
Old 12-03-20, 10:06 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
There's a Nishiki Manitoba on CL, and I can't find any info on it, beyond a very low res page on mombatbicycles.com. Seller says it's a 1990, SN# 119(0? 8?)363.

It's filthy, and a bit chewed up, but no real rust, new tubes and tires, and only $25 (if it's still there). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The serial number doesn't seem to fit but it's definitely the 1990 version based on the decals, monostay and Shimano 200GS components. This is an entry level ATB, 9th in Nishiki's 10 model, adult ATB line. Shimano 200GS was 7th in their ATB group hierarchy. The frame is plain gauge CrMo in the three main tubes. The west coast MSRP was $339 US.

The bicycle is set up as a commuter/city bicycle, with new "slick tires". The sellers mentions the possibility of needing new shift units because "shifting into the lowest gear is a bit sticky". This is not uncommon with older Rapidfire units and often can be rectified with aerosol solvent and new lubrication. It could also be a simple adjustment or cable issue, though you should budget for new units, just in case. Cosmetic condition is average for a three decades old ATB. Drivetrain wear appears to quite low. My concern is the lack of pedals and what the seller might be trying to hide by omitting them, as the price barely covers his investment in the new tubes and tyres. I'd definitely be taking my own pedals and wrench, so that I could test ride the bicycle. Also, do the usual checks for stuck seat post and handlebar stem.

You should have had this post several hours ago but we had a power outage just as I was about submit.
Likes For T-Mar: