Old 05-09-23, 04:30 PM
Djangomatic82

Bikes: 1989 Miyata 1000LT 58cm, 1993 Miayata 916 56cm, 1998 Kona Explosif 20"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
e-bike Clydesdale returning to the saddle

Hi, I am returning to cycling after about a 6 or 7 years break. Prior to this, I had been living in a city and would bicycle to work and for everyday tasks, weather permitting. This helped keep me at a constant weight, though i was and will always be a Clydesdale.
Since the pandemic, I had been working in a job that required me to be sitting and/or driving for 12+ hours per day. Needless to say, this has not been good for my body and I have put on at least 80lbs. Additionally, due to sitting all day, my flexibility, core strength and posture have all take a serious hit.

That brings me to today, I have decided to start cycling again, not just for the health benefits, but because it is a hobby that i really, truly miss.
I have been working on converting an old 80's touring bike into an e-bike, in order to help me overcome the physical barriers I know i will face.
My thinking is its better to get as much time in the saddle as possible, whether it is motor assisted or not, than it is to try and power through all the discomfort and physical limitations i will be forced to abide by, compared to my previous cycling capacity, and face the real discouragement i know that would bring.

I would like to hear from others who may have gone through this. how are you fairing? any tips or things to avoid in your experience?