View Single Post
Old 07-31-11, 03:03 PM
Deademeat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by max5480
I don't think the Felt Footprint is very light...
website says 18.7 pounds.
is your langster steel or aluminum?
if it's aluminum i think you'd get a better value just upgrading with lighter components
and are you riding it SS now? if so, what's the problem?
i know people that ride without rear brakes SS.
or just ride it fixed.
or get someone to drill a rear brake.
bottom line: i wouldn't consider that much of an upgrade at all, just an extravagance.
My langster is aluminium. I ride it SS now. I am aware that people ride with one brake, and I am aware that people ride with no brakes. I could get a frame and drill it, and I could spend time putting together components for my existing frame. I could wear skinny jeans and smoke filterless French cigarettes. My preference isn't to do those things though - I don't like riding fixed and I do like 2 brakes. I like clean brake lines and no zip ties. I *really* like the carrot cake you get at Wegman's. I don't even like skinny jeans on girls.

Part of this is the triumph of hope over experience that new gear will make any appreciable difference to the art of making the bike go forwards. Part of this is undoubtedly a child-like sense of wonder when buying a shiny new bike, combined with the fact that I have finally found a bike that matches my weird preferences more or less exactly. Since I am now both biking to work and training on it 25-50 miles/day, I'm going to allow myself the extravagance - I know many people who have spent a lot more to ride a lot less. I do have a pathological need to validate every major purchase with strangers on the interwebs though, so I was hoping that I might run into someone who owned one/had ridden one/had seen one.

It's proving difficult to gauge how much of an upgrade it might be unless I can find someone who has been on one though. 18.7 pounds is a pretty big leap from where my langster is right now.

Dave