View Single Post
Old 06-06-18, 01:19 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
When I first got my Specialized Sirrus Comp, I was really disappointed with speed -- everyone was constantly passing me. But then I got decent road tires (700s28 Michelin Pro4's) and SPD pedals.

Now my average no-wind pace on flat terrain is around 17 mph, though on Strava I'll come in around 14 for the whole ride (taking into account minor hills and occassional slowing down for other things). Most roadies still pass me, but it's less common and the speed differential is less.

Originally Posted by Weakbikr
Guys I see numbers the road guys post on strava. I'm impressed but also disappointed with my performance. For instance I made a quick loop through the neighborhood after a tune up on the bike. It ran great btw, the chain was shot. So after I got home I finished my ride and my avg speed on this run of 4.6 miles was 12mph flat. I was pretty happy about that. I wasnt trying for speed just trying to hurry because I was headed to the gym afterwords. Then I see where guys are putting up 18 and 20 mph avg speeds for 20 and 30 miles runs it kinda takes the wind outta your sails. Lol. Am I just that slow or is there that big a difference between a hybrid and a road bike.