Old 08-11-18, 10:21 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Biking is very efficient, not burning a lot of calories
Estimating 22 to 25 calories per mile is good for a lot of riders. At 15 mph, that's 330 to 375 calories per hour. Bike computers or phone apps often estimate way higher numbers. But riders with power meters can get a quite accurate calorie estimate, and this "under 25 per mile" number is pretty common. (I've seen just 27-28 cal per mile on fast-for-me group rides that include some spirited hill climbs, and 1500 to 1800 feet of elevation gain in 30-35 miles.)

I used to come home from rides and eat everything in the house, a net calorie gain for the day.

When doing "zone 2" or "conversational pace" rides, I'm burning proportionally more fat reserves and fewer carb calories. (Fast, hard rides still burn more fat calories than easy rides, and also way more carb calories.) I'm not nearly as hungry afterwards. It's a pace where I can recite the whole alphabet in one breath. For weight loss, I'd do more of these zone 2 rides, and maybe once a week include shorter, hard efforts. The zone 2 rides are also great for training your body to handle long rides.

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-11-18 at 10:31 AM.