View Single Post
Old 06-23-20, 08:42 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
I drove to the Crystal Mountain Ski resort on Monday and began my ride from the parking lot of the Alpine Inn. Later in the afternoon the Inn would provide a cold beer as an incentive when I do the final 1500 foot climb to finish the ride.
I started at the Crystal Mountain Ski area by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

It’s a cold descent from the Ski area to Highway 410 and the entrance to Mt. Rainier National Park.
A slightly chilly descent down Crystal Mountain Blvd to start the day by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

It's snow free up to Cayuse Pass and starting to warm up so I remove my windbreaker. As I rise in elevation twords Chinook Pass snow is still holding on creating little micro climates of cool moist air as you pass through shady spots.
Snow is still holding its own up here by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The snowpack is still fairly deep up higher. Although you can’t see them in this picture, these slopes were filled with tracks from skiers laying down the last lines of the season in the soft corn snow.
Lots of ski tracks on this slope by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

A little higher, I stop and get a picture of Rainier from above Tipsoo Lake.
Tipsoo Lake by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Chinook Pass is at the crest of the Cascades - the snow quickly disappears after this point due to the drier climate and the open exposure of the slope to the sun. I toyed around with the idea of going down to Natches and looping back via Highway 12 but the allure of staying inside the the park and the reality that I was riding alone held me back. That ride is best done with companions.
Chinook Pass by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The ride down from Chinook is amazing
The descent from Chinook by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Mt Rainier by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

I turn off at the White River entrance and ride twords Sunrise Road anticipating the great climb up to Sunrise. You can imagine my disappointment 10 miles later when I saw this:
So Sad Sunrise Road is closed by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The road had been open to bikers when I checked the website on Sunday.

Oh well, I just took the road that leads to the White River Campground which had it’s own appeal.
Road to the White River Campground by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Last edited by northbend; 06-23-20 at 09:01 AM.
Likes For northbend: