clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by c0rbin9
For anyone interested, here is a list of candidates I have compiled.

I've come to realize my riding distances are so short that a vintage mountain bike with it's utility would probably serve best. It seems production vintage mountain bikes fall into two distinct groups - first, the early mountain bikes from '82-'87 or so, which had more upright riding positions and heavier build, and second, bikes from the late 80s-early 90s which had more racy riding positions and which were lighter than the older models. Is this a fair assessment? And if so, what do these differences mean for the bike's use as a light trail/short distance city runabout?
Good list. I think your assessments are right. A short distance urban mtn flyer might need a little narrower, high pressure rims and tires, and some stock is getting harder to find. Or you can inflate some Conti Town and Country's on an '82 Araya RX7 and just push slightly harder.
I've recently been drawn into two hybrids on your list and I think 700c wheel & tire selection gives them a leg up.

'84 Norco Bigfoot, '91 Specialized Crossroads, and '91 Miyata TripleCross and my gravel town bikes. Yes, 90's mtn bikes perform better until bad suspension got them wrong but many rigids of the period are just great. I don't care for sloping toptubes in general. All these will except mudguards and racks