View Single Post
Old 10-04-10, 10:56 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I've been using my CX bike on it, to keep the road bike's drive train nice and young. It's got 28 mm tires on right now, but they're starting to wear, and now that I've got two bikes, I'm thinking about 32s for the CX. I used to do long city rides on it, and wanted a balance... Anyway, since wide tires came up, any guess how much difference to expect for rolling resistance on the street?
I don't know much about this but I wouldn't expect there to be much more rolling resistance.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
On the rollers, it feels like shifting to higher gears adds quite a bit more resistance if you're starting from a dead stop, but not so much if you're already moving?
That is probably true since it take more effort to get both wheels to a higher speed but with the wheels moving it is just a little effort to increase the speed.

I do like Rondabike's idea of putting paper on the front wheel to create resistance (kinda like a schwinn aerodyne) but I would use cardboard since it would not flex as much.