FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings

I was riding with Vittoria Voyager Hyers which are pretty slick down a paved farm track and as we turned into what becomes more of a "gravelly" road .... as it's been a dry summer here there was a fine layer of dirt and my front wheel just went and I was down before I could blink.

Originally Posted by literal trope

Originally Posted by Witterings
I got some pics of where I went down .... you'll see how loose a surface it is but knowing this is exactly what I don't brake or turn hard into and only approach at a slow speed. The only thing I did notice was some slight drops and I wonder if the tyre was half way up one of those which started the movement to drop to the bottom and it just kept going ... that's just me trying to 2nd guess it though.

Those tires* sure mean you can't lean hard or touch the brakes wrong in loose dirt and ball bearing sized rocks. I mentioned wet steel plate in another thread, well that there piece of road is the rural equivalent with those near slick tires.

Suspension would have helped your tires follow the pot-hole like situation, but that's a different machine. Tires with a deep tread pattern would have helped bite through the loose dirt. Even so, if you stop pedaling and your weight shifts to your seat, now the bike feels your weight high instead of low. Keeping weight on the pedals, or even standing on them, would help your bike feel your weight low and allow your legs to act as suspension.

IMO, off-road riding time would help in understanding some of this. Back in my motorcycle days I started on road bikes, but I really learned how to ride when I rode off-road.

*Whats the tread depth on those things, 0.5mm?

Last edited by FiftySix; 08-06-19 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo after typo, etc. etc.