View Single Post
Old 08-14-20, 05:03 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Easy. I go for a ride before I tape the handlebar. (I just tape the cable down with electrical tape.) Bering the tools to adjust stem height, bar rotation and the brake lever clamp. Stop and adjust as needed. My hands will tell me what they like. After a couple of rides and the levers feel dialed in, I tape the bars from the bottom with cloth tape - so I can easliy unwrap ti the levers, move them and re-tape - as many times as I want. When that tape wears out, i put the good stuff on, knowing the levers are "right".

What other people think of my lever position is none of my (G** d***ed) bvusiness! I have to live with the consequences of hand issues if I get it wrong.

Ben
This was pretty sensible advice, but I'm not in the habit of bringing a bike stand, torque wrench, and other accoutrement necessary to change my stem height. That adjustment can wait until I'm back home. However, I definitely have done a few rides with a T-handle in my jersey pocket and no tape on the bars. It's pretty easy to move the brake levers during a mid-ride stop, but I'm not about to risk dropping my torque wrench or losing a 1 mm spacer from my steerer!