View Single Post
Old 09-03-17, 05:43 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Stat71
Hi all, this might not be the right forum for this question but will ask anyway

Hello,

Well this is my first bike since childhood (I'm 46). I was knocked down 6mths go by multiple sclerosis and decided I was getting back up with the goal to participate in the Sydney to the Gong MS fundraising race in November this year (50KLM)

I purchased a 2018 Giant Roam 3, had my first ride today and survived! Now focussed on improving my balance, coordination and exercise tolerance

One immediate challenge is my posture - I have a lesion in my cervical spinal cord which causes numbness, electric shocks if my neck is in flexion. Ideally I need the handlebars as high a practicable.

The question - is there some type of handle bar or mod that would give me the option of a higher handle bar?

Thanks in anticipation

You could get a riser handlebar that would give you 40mm more height over a flat handlebar, but I think your Roam may have a 15mm rise in its handlebar, so only a net gain of 25mm there.

The biggest increase you could get would be to go with a stem riser and I have attached two different types that would work with your Roam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Stem Riser 1.jpg (27.2 KB, 684 views)
File Type: jpg
Stem Riser 2.jpg (17.7 KB, 686 views)