View Single Post
Old 09-14-17, 07:43 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
There's a big difference between passive and active ROM (range of motion). What I mean by 'passive' is you warm up, do all the preparatory workouts, get massaged and bent by the PT and then do what you can by sitting on a chair or ball with your foot on the ground and scoot forward as far as you can go (mumbling and cursing at the pain) with the PT measuring your performance and assistants egging you on...

I was at 110° yesterday (into 7th week post op surgery). But, that is not 'active' ROM.

By comparison, what I mean by 'active' would be, e.g., laying on my back and bending my leg by using my leg muscles to slide my heel as far back towards my hips as humanly possible– that was 101° yesterday; and, I can tell you, that's only almost good enough to ride with a mid-foot riding position and turn the pedals over on my upright with its 165 mm cranks.

So, be prepared: it is 'gonna take a lot of work. I am shooting for 120° of 'passive' ROM (which is a little bit optimistic in my situation) and it sometimes seems impossible on a daily basis but little by little (as the swelling goes down), it may happen sometime in the next 2-3 weeks– who knows?