MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
If you want to have the full interactive experience and have Zwift etc. control your trainer, you are looking at the entry-level wheel-on smart trainers. Last I checked you have several good choices for roughly $500. My recollection is that finding them on sale/discount may be a challenge, so you may end up paying close to MSRP.
Originally Posted by LAJ
That's less than a few hundreds, in my book.

I have a dumb trainer with power. I also have a groove worn in the steel wheel. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong, but @WhyFi's old tire would be on my trainer wheel, and I wouldn't sweat it until I wear out another tire. If said spousal unit wants a trainer, don't mess around with a lesser device, get one you want, and you both will be happy with.
Mainly, I want software-controllable resistance. This is what's going to make it fun for spouse. Other things, like more realistic feel are nice, but further down the list. 500 +/- is okay. As for tire wear, my dumb trainer experience with a trainer tire pumped rock hard and not too much pressure has been fairly good. The thing is wearing, but has another season.

Oh, another requirement is the ability to handle the 650b wheels on my wife's bike. They were put on to get 32 mm tires onto her old racing frame.