Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
When I ride, and there are clear, mostly clean, bike lanes along the road, I tend to stay in them.

Several of the roads in this area have full 12' bike lanes (as wide as the traffic lanes), and while there are occasionally vehicles parked in them, it's uncommon.

I was driving (hauling stuff to my new house) down this road yesterday, and there was a group of 5 riders. Of the 5, 2 were riding almost right on the fog line, and the other 3 were out in the traffic lane.

Why would someone do this, other than to be a jerk? Is there some point they think they're making? If they were moving back over (and there is plenty of room to do so) when traffic came up behind them, I could at least chalk their behavior up to maybe trying to make sure they're seen, but they didn't even do that.

As a cyclist, I find this even more annoying, because I know a lot of drivers paint us all with the same brush.

The reality is that it took right next to no effort on your part to go around them. That needs to be an important part of our advocacy effort. That is to get motorists to deal with the reality that in most cases even if cyclists are being rude, they don't cause much of an issue at all. Motorists have to deal with far greater issues than the occasional rude cyclist.
Likes For Paul Barnard: