View Single Post
Old 06-01-20, 09:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
As someone who has been "doored", I would prefer being in the lane where approaching traffic can see me in front of them, rather than in the parking / door zone where oblivious occupants are likely to open their door without checking their mirror.

When I got doored, I swerved but wasn't able to fully dodge the door in time. My shoe caught the edge/corner of the door, and got torn opened from pinky-toe to heel section of the shoe. Fortunately for me my foot was ok. The driver just said, "Sorry" and walked off while I sat there stunned.

Door zones are more dangerous than lanes. Are you advocating for riders to choose a more dangerous position on the road? Let me repeat this point: Door zones are very dangerous to cyclists. I don't think anyone who cares about human life would knowingly want cycles to ride in a more dangerous position on the road.
Just to the left of that fog line would be fine for me. From experience on a lot of very similar roads, that gives me enough perspective to see if anyone is on the driver side of the vehicle. I'd also pop right back to the right of the fog line as soon as I passed that group of cars.