View Single Post
Old 10-28-20, 05:06 PM
ride_2_fast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding all sorts of bikes..road, CX and mostly MTB... Lately for last 10y almost exclusively MTB... there Q factor (and naturally stance too )... Q being around 168- 170 mm for shimano XTR triple and now for 1x12 SRAM boost cranks too.
Lately hopped on my older CX bike with Specialized Carbon Pro FACT crankset which measured is about 149mm Q-factor. Substantially less.
I felt quite a discomfort in hips when riding the and felt less power to cranks on this narrower Q-factor of CX bike... I was also slower on gravel when compared the two bike with same tires/wheelset combo.... which was a unexpected first, but given the discomfort understandable....

So I feel the same as OP.
I too am about 180lb and 6'2'', like to use wider saddle 155mm generally so can assume wider hips.....
Looking at ways to extend stance by 20mm which is not easy with Shimano XTR pedals... axle options are not there for 2x10mm increase and pedal axle extenders I am finding are mostly 20mm each side, which is too much... Any suggestions there?