View Single Post
Old 09-06-19, 11:36 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by steve392
I've recently got back into biking and have a Schwinn Boundary that i love. My concern is the front forks. How do I tell if they are shot? In the 2 months I've had the bike and rode it, the suspension has definitely gotten much more softer and nearly bottoms out on minor terrain or going off a curb. If they are shot, are their beginner level forks that aren't expensive?

Lastly, i see video's online with guys having much wide handle bars. What is the advantage to having a wider handle bar? Or a smaller stem?
A wider bar allows better handling, but how wide is personal. The shorter stem allows for the wider bar without changing your body position much.

A $200 MTB isn't really meant to be ridden anyway but flat roads. Actually at that price point you would have been better off with a rigid fork. Suntour or SR makes decent entry level forks but it will still cost more than what you paid for the Schwinn.

My suggestion, if you really enjoy the sport, save your pennies and get a better bike. And in the meanwhile, ride the Schwinn till the wheels come off....