View Single Post
Old 09-28-07, 01:38 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,808 Times in 1,411 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
when did Cinelli make the switch from steel? Is this still the same company or just a name today?, because the modern ally frames are made in Asia.

update: the company re-structured in 1997.
Giotto started the company in Florence after the war. Cino came aboard in 1946 and Giotto tended to another business. Cinelli switch to aluminum handlebars in 1960 but they did make steel ones up to the mid-60s. Cino retired and sold the business to Antonio Columbus (Columbus tubing) in 1978. I don't know exactly when they started with the aluminum frames, but probably the late 80s like everyone else. Columbus also manufactures composite frames. They still make steel tubing and Cinelli still makes a steel SC and a steel/composite combination frame. As you noted, in 1997 they aquired 3T and changed the corporate name to Gruppo Spa.

I don't know what you mean by if it is the same company or a name? Cino is dead, so is Giotto but then again so is Mr. Coke, Levi Strauss and countless other brands. Do you have a better definition of what you mean?

Since Cinelli always was and is a boutique frame manufacturer, I believe all the frames are made in Italy. I could be wrong and would be happy to learn more about the company.