Old 06-07-11, 07:38 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice account; I felt like I was there. Especially regarding the wedding ring travails. I got my ring at 285, and when I got to about 220 it fell off my finger once in the front hallway while putting on a coat. So, like the intelligent human I am, I put it back on. Cut to one day at about 210 when I realize while unloading groceries in the kitchen that the ring is again missing. No sign of it anywhere in the kitchen, the laundry room, the garage, the car. I retrace my steps in my mind, trying to remember all the places I hit while running errands that morning and my heart is just in my throat. Our rings were custom designed and made for us by a jewelry artist in Oakland, and are basically irreplaceable. While they're gold, which could normally be resized easily enough, the design of the rings will make that very difficult. I finally found it in the bottom of a plastic grocery bag, not from my run to the store, but the one in my briefcase that I haul my lunch in. And I only found it because I was emptying out my briefcase on the kitchen counter so I could search every nook and cranny in it, and the plastic bag that I flung on the counter hit with a loud thunk that a plastic bag shouldn't normally do. Now it's put away safely until we can figure out what to do to make it fit.

There's little in life that engenders the kind of panic you get when you lose your wedding ring, or the sense of relief when you find it.

Last edited by CraigB; 06-07-11 at 09:32 AM.