View Single Post
Old 10-16-17, 02:11 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Over the weekend, with standard 53/11 gearing, I found myself spun out on a mild 5% down slope. I was spinning a little over 110 rpm at the time and I don't anticipate developing a lot of torque at speeds higher than that, so I'm considering going to a bigger chainring. I don't think a 54T would give me enough to justify the bother/expense, so I'm considering a 55T.

Does anyone here use a 54T or bigger big ring? Is it worth the trouble/expense? What small ring do you have paired with it? Does the bigger ring impact your shifting? Besides moving it up a little, is there anything more you have to do with the front derailleur? And finally . . . do you have cranksets that you would recommend?
Back when I did a weekly TT series I was running a 56/39 - 11/21. I don't do TT's any longer and run a 54/39 and several different combos in the back depending on terrain 11/21, 11/25, or 11/27. I still try and get out on it once a week and sometimes several times a week. If your already running a 53/11 then I would consider the 55 and skip over the 54. The bigger ring has never had a negative impact on my shifting. I still have my shifting set up as friction not index which allows for fine turning while riding. I do have a slightly wide front derailleur. I run an FSA crank but everyone has there own preference.

Here is it's present set-up.