Old 04-25-19, 07:25 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
You see it as victim blaming, and of course that's the easy and intellectually dishonest route. I see his comments as advocating for risk mitigation through avoidance when practicable.
Exactly what my intent was.

It's an unfortunate incident. And I do feel for the victim. Perhaps the cyclist had no other choice than to ride during that time and on that particular road. Maybe a better light or brighter/reflective clothing might have given the driver more warning. But maybe not, because if the driver was distracted it wouldn't have made any difference.

Every time I hear/read about a cyclist fatality I want to know the circumstances and all the details under which the incident occurred, because I want to know how the outcome could have been different if he had done some thing different. Learning from what others have done will hopefully make me safer in the long run. It's the reason I posted the incident in the first place, and not to say that it was the cyclist's fault for getting hit and that if he'd done this or that he wouldn't have been hit, though I know that's how some of you will interpret it. So whatever...