View Single Post
Old 01-10-12, 08:13 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by County
^^^ @Barrettscv, could you post a close up photo of the tread pattern of the Marathon Cross? I've never seen a set mounted on a rim before. I'm just curious, I use the regular Marathons, myself.
I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Originally Posted by oldride
Barrettscv the bike looks nice. I like your upgrades. I'm curious about your decision to go this route vs. building up a touring frame? I have a 26" wheeled tourer now but I'm considering buying or building a 700c tourer so any feedback would be appreciated.
Hi O.R.,

I got the bike from Bike Island, It’s a returned BikesDirect item and was sold to me without wheels for half price. The bike needed total reassembly, I checked it, all-over, for damage and carefully rebuilt it. It was nice having all the small parts. The wheelset came from Rocky Mountain (http://www.ebay.com/itm/380379158004 ) and were a great bargain. I hope the Formula hubs are as beefy as they look! I think I have about $800 in the bike, but I need to check my costs.

I considered buying a new, complete LHT, but decided that I would end up spending too much for the Surly once the prep work and changes were complete.

I always disassemble and apply framesaver to each new steel bike I own, buying a new complete bike and taking it apart seemed counter-productive. I also wanted the sourced handlebars, crankset and Velocity rims on touring hubs. I like these items better than the LHT components.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-10-12 at 09:33 PM.