View Single Post
Old 03-05-20, 08:06 AM
Carl J

Bikes: 2016 Trek Farley 9.6, 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Road), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired), 2016 Kona Wo (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
Summer Trail Riding Tires (27.5")

For those of you that have 27.5", I was wondering what you all are using for summer trail riding?

On my 26" which I'm hoping to change to 27.5", I have Jumbo Jims, and them. Really fast tires (they have one of the lowest rolling resistance among fat tires).

Unfortunately, they only come in 26", so I need to find a different tire. Most of my riding in the summer is on paved paths and hard pack dirt trails. Muddy trails I tend to stay away from, just because I don't want to ruin the trails and, am too lazy to keep washing my bike.

So far, doesn't look like there's a lot of options out there. Kind of narrowed it down to the Bontrager Hodag and the Terrene Cake Eaters so far. The reviews on the Maxxis FBF and FBR seem to be really mixed.

Anyone have experience with any of these tires? Or use other tires that I should possibly consider?

Again, this is for 27.5" tires on hard packed and mostly dry trails. Leaning more towards low rolling resistance vs lots of grip (60/40).

Thanks