View Single Post
Old 07-26-10, 06:47 AM
jomonds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
It costs more than $2000 because it has a carbon frame and fork and ultegra components ... this brings the weight down to about 10 kilos.
If you would get a bike that is almost exactly the same bike but with an aluminum frame and fork and ... let's say ... a 105 group of components, that bike would cost less than half the price of this-one, while only weighing about 1 or max 2 kilos more.
Do you want to pay $1000+ for a bit more than 1 kilo off of the total weight of your weight plus the weight of your bike?
I own a 2010 Trek 7.7FX that comes with 105 group of components. Yes, the 7.7FX is not as expensive (costs about 2/3 than that of the Diem), its just a bit heavier (I think a little more than kilo than the Diem), and not as fragile (i.e. I'm afraid of hanging the Orbea on a bike rack for fear that it may crack). And to be very honest, a fitness/recreational rider like me can't tell any big difference in the ride quality and speed between the two bikes!

But there is something (subjective) about the Orbea that makes it more enjoyable to ride. I also somehow get more enjoyment in cleaning and taking care of it. It does not shout for attention but yet attracts a lot of positive comments with the other bikers, and I could not agree more. IMHO, getting a bike with an aluminum frame will not get you something almost exactly or as close to the Orbea.