Old 04-08-19, 03:04 AM
b_young
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I started a vegan diet about 2 months ago on a doctors suggestion. I am planning on staying on it for about 6 months at least. I have found it is very hard to find true vegan foods that are pre packaged. There are a lot of high protein energy bars that are vegan but they are hard to find locally. With proper planning you can easily make a high carb or high protein meal for a long ride without any issues. I don't think you would have to stop more. But I haven't had a long ride yet. I am planning on riding the Katy trail in MO again this year. So we will see.
They difference between vegan and vegetarian is vegan doesn't use any animal product. Honey, eggs, milk, etc are not on a vegan diet. I am on this diet trying to negate some of my family history with heart issues and at least delay a heart attack. There is a new term for vegan called plant based diet. It is usually what I say when I am asked because of the negativity associated with "Vegans." It's been hard trying to eat at a restaurant and stay true to the diet. And the biggest thing I have missed this far is BACON.