Old 05-19-19, 02:39 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
That's a good point I'm surprised no one has made yet.

I don't want to get too political here, but in principle people in the US are supposed to make responsible choices without costs and taxes being the motivating factor. In practice, that ideal seems to fail a lot, but it remains as the underlying justification for legitimating freedom over control.

So do you think people in the world who have good rail service available currently would want to stop paying for it if the price of gas went down there low enough to justify driving and flying instead? Or is there sense enough that people would maintain their rail systems for the sake of efficiency and sustainability in transportation?
Good question. I think it has a lot to do with the population also. Older countries are more in need if it because of space. Of course China is a huge country but has huge population. I have a personal beef with the suppression of even decent train transport. I work in Wisconsin and need to travel to Chicago. About 50miles each way. Even though we have the Metra that links Chicago and Kenosha. The schedules are just to sporadic and I wind up driving . If it ran regular I could just take my bike on the train and commute. I just think we have to reach a critical mass before humans accept that we need to move without cars. Say >>>>>catastrophic global environmental collapse...outside of that we love our cars....