Old 09-13-20, 10:33 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti

Last year Gravel World's was asking for $100USD to ride. For 1 day. With NO support, no SAG, no wrenching. On open public roads. $100 got you a bib and a bit of swag, and that is it. Which is nuts. Dirty Kanza is worse.
to be fair, gravel worlds had some really well stocked rest stops with volunteers so it helped to have water refills and not have to carry as much food, and I believe that it’s more of a fundraising thing for nonprofits vs enrichment like DK. That said, I agree that a lot of gravel events seem to be a bit of a cash grab.

living in eastern MA there isn’t any gravel and roads are good for riding and have low speed limits, and Lincoln is definitely bad for road riding and it’s exactly as you describe earlier. Having finally had my CX bike with me doing gravel worlds, it was nice to have such easy access to gravel roads from my in laws house. Although after I did gravel worlds I spent the rest of my time riding the Jamaica north/homestead trail, I didn’t want to see another rolling gravel road for a bit lol