Thread: Tire fit
View Single Post
Old 09-20-19, 10:03 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Tire fit from different manufacturers is akin to clothing fit from different manufacturers. They'll all have the same BSD, but some might have a little more below (inside?) that than others.
Stiffer rubber compounds make the job a little harder, supple rubber is a little easier. Gatorskins obviously come from the former group, and you might need to resort to judicious use of steel core levers to pop that bead in place. +1 to thinner rim tape, since that extra mm of depth can make the difference between needing a lever or not. I swapped the front tire this morning for a more supple compound over the Michelin ProTek I bought for better control on Mackinac Island's unpaved road segments. I only recently realized that the cheapie Forte Urban II tires that were on the bike when I bought it are 1) lighter; and 2) more supple.