Old 09-24-19, 09:25 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Could be that you let just a bit too much air out of the tube before prying on the last section of the bead(?).

I usually count on the tube having some shape to it to prevent the tube from getting trapped, even with tubes that are rated larger than the tire size.

I'm sure you're right. If the tire is difficult I probably get frustrated and, having lost patience, just let all the air out of the tube instead of trying only a little. (There's not that much air in it to begin with.) I am very reluctant to use a tire lever to mount a tire even though my wife taught me the way that doesn't pinch the tube. So I struggle and pinch and push and curse until it snaps over by hand. The rim I replaced defeated all my efforts and needed the help of my big strong friend, Peter, now holder of the Canadian hour record for his age group, when I punctured on a ride. He was a bouncer in his young days.

I'm going to try your more judicious approach with my next puncture. Thing is, ever since beer in cans replaced beer in deposit bottles here -- the beer that gets sold to be drunk in moving cars at least -- there is very little glass on the roads and punctures don't happen often enough to keep one's technique sharp.